[wpkg-users] Client questions

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Aug 14 18:53:05 CEST 2009

Hi Simon,

simon.begin at institutsmq.qc.ca wrote:
> I'm new and evaluating WPKG.

Looks like a new "customer" - welcome to WPKG!

> My users don't have admin provileges. So I either need the WPKG client
> or I run the wpgk.js as an admin-user in the domain logon script.
> Anyone only using the wpkg.js in the logon script without the client?

I think you're wrong here. Domain logon scripts are not executed with domain
user admin rights. They are executed within the user context and can be used to
map network drives or to do changes to user settings. If you run wpkg.js from
the logon script you will not be able to deploy software unless the user which
logs in has local admin rights (which you said the do not have).

Instead you could run wpkg.js from the task scheduler using SYSTEm or any other
user which has local privileges to install software.

In any case using WPKG client is the preferred way of running wpkg.js.

> If I go with the client, and install it with the \\server\settings.xml,
> how to change globally the setting later ?

Malte already answered your question how to update the WPKG client configuration
later using WPKG (wpkg.js) itself. The wpkg.js configuration stored in the WPKG
share (config.xml) is re-read on each WPKG execution, so no need to push these
settings to the client.

> Does the WPKG Client refreshes the config at reboot with the server-side
> settings.xml ?

No it does not. But as Malte explained you can create a package which invokes
"%ProgramFiles%\WPKG\wpkginst.exe --IMPORT=\\path\to\settings.xml" if you want
to reload it frequently you could either create a package that runs on every
WPKG run (execute=always attribute in the package) or schedule a task or any
other way which is capable to invoke the command-line above at the desired
schedule with admin privileges.