[wpkg-users] wpkgCreateReport Update

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Sat Aug 22 20:28:00 CEST 2009

Malte Starostik wrote:

> Am Freitag, 21. August 2009 20:44:03 schrieb Mark Nienberg:

>> What is the best way to do this if you are using the wpkg-client service to
>> call wpkg?  I'm guessing that maybe it should be listed in the "Advanced"
>> section under "Execute After". In that case, does anyone know which
>> user/passwd combination will be used to execute the command?  I'd like to
>> be sure that user actually has write privileges in the share that will hold
>> the xml files.
>
> in the client, you can configure a command to execute after wpkg.js (Variable,
> actions -> Execute after).  There you can put sth. like
> cmd /c copy /y "%SystemRoot%\system32\wpkg.xml"
> \\host\share\%COMPUTERNAME%.xml
>
> Mybe you need the testing version of the client for that - see
> http://www1.wpkg.org/files/client/beta/test/2009-01-24/
> Then you need to somehow setup the connection to the share, one IMHO very
> clean way to do this with the above testing version is to check "Path, users
> _> Use computer account and password" and grant the group "Domain Computers"
> read permission on the share(s) containing WPKG and SOFTWARE and write
> permissions on the share referenced in the above copy command.  This way there
> is no need to save some user's password for WPKG to run.

I tested with the "Execute After" command and could not get it to work correctly.  In
my case the share where I need to copy the file is a samba share and I don't really
want to make it world writeable.  It appeared from my testing that wpkg tried to
connect using the SYSTEM account, which has no password and no account on the samba
server.

Eventually I decided to do the copy as a wpkg package with "Execute Always", so the
user/password specified in the client is used instead of SYSTEM.  This has the
disadvantage that it might be out of date by one reboot, unless someone can tell me
how to make this package execute last.

Another option might be to use a daily Windows Scheduled job, since you can specify
user/password there.

--
Mark Nienberg
Sent from an invalid address. Please reply to the group.