[wpkg-users] Stopping installations being called each time WPKG runs...

mscdex mscdex at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:50:32 CET 2009

On 2/10/09, Rainer Meier <r.meier at wpkg.org> wrote:

> Most of them can be worked around by installing them on a reference
> system (or virtual machine) and just re-package them with 7-zip self
> extractor or similar. Then crate a small batch script whcih is silently
> extracting it, registering some DLL or adding registry keys. Removing is
> simple: Just delete the program directory.

Whenever I encounter installers like this or even when I would rather not
deal with installers in particular situations, I use UniExtract to extract
the application files from the installer (works pretty good for many
different types and versions of installers). This saves you from having to
install them just to obtain the necessary files. Also, the tool seems to
extract installer scripts and such too. You can look at those to see what
other changes it makes to the system (registry, etc) and then make those
appropriate changes manually when creating the batch/cmd files to do the
installation.