[wpkg-users] Stopping installations being called each time WPKG runs...

K.E.Jones at bton.ac.uk K.E.Jones at bton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 03:32:56 CET 2009

Hi,

Hi Tomasz,

 I'm not entirely sure Chris meant that. I think he was talking more
about the general
complexity of package definitions as a whole.

Hi Chris,

 Most commercial systems rely on solely on getting a clean exit from an
install and
then updating their files to say software is installed. In an ideal
world this is totally
correct and just "works". In an un-ideal world, just because an
installer says it worked,
it's not necessarily true that it worked the way you expected. I see
what you mean but in
some ways you're highlighting a problem with the commercial systems.
They don't "check",
they make assumptions...

 WPKG hedges its bets because, quite frankly, dumb things happen.
Installers can sometimes
screw up without appearing to fail and if they don't re-check things you
also run the risk
of admins and power users fiddling with stuff behind their backs.

 The "checks" are simple tests to look for some key registry entry, file
or other thing to
verify if a package is installed or not. It's kept flexible so WPKG can
be a general launcher
of software and not just installers but you can also put more checks in
to handle power users
and admins playing with things.

 I have to admit working out the "checks" to confirm something is
installed can be a pain
but it is literally a precautionary test to check if software got
installed. I generally
only use the "uninstall" key check to confirm things. I've rarely used
the other checks
because most people fear my wrath if they play around with their systems
;-)

 The things is, as you quite rightly say, WPKG *always* performs these
checks. I don't think
anyone has queried that before and that's a bonofide comment. I'm
wondering if you really
could streamline WPKG to not need checks... hrmmm... It's worth thinking
about! I'll try
and do some groundwork for the devs and see if I can make a case for it.

 I come from an educational background too. Even worse, we teach
"Business" here so the software
is expensive and full of copyright protections! If you'd seen the utter
rubbish with activation
keys, internet activation and registration dialogs our software throws
up you'd understand why
I'm glad I've got WPKG to play with!

 I've tried just about everything from repackaging software, making my
own self-healing MSIs,
using AutoIt (to automate keypresses) through to fighting old
InstallShield setups and recording
response files to replay to it. Installers are just nuts nowadays!

 I agree totally with you on the MSI front. MSI's are a much cleaner way
of installing software.
I also have to admit that they're a right pain to write correctly! MS
has not approached
MSI with an idea of making it simple!

Ho hum,

 Anyway, I'd better get back to other things...

 Have fun,

Keith