[wpkg-users] Feature request - Ability for mobile users to choose if new software installs yet

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Feb 16 10:09:23 CET 2009

Chris Wilcox schrieb:
> Something we have from a commercial system allows laptops to be set to
> prompt a user at boot that new software installs are pending.  The user
> can choose 'Install Now' or 'Install and next boot'.  Because some
> software installs may take a long time and slow down use and boot of a
> laptop, it is sometimes beneficial for our staff to use this
> functionality as they may not always be on the network for long enough
> for some of the larger apps to install.

Right now, it's not possible.
You could use a script in WPKG Client to detect i.e. slow network and
decide if you want to continue installation, but I guess it's not really
what you need.
Also, we could make WPKG Client display a little tray icon, where user
could see (similar to Windows updates): "there are pending updates -
apply y/n"? And install only if the user agrees (configurable).
It would need some changes in WPKG Client and wpkg.js. Anyone willing to
donate? :)

> Perhaps a further 'Software install complete' pop-up message would also
> benefit these users so they'd know it was then safe to shutdown their
> laptop.

See InfoMessage and wpkgmessage here:
http://wpkg.org/User_contributed_software

You could run it as the very last command.

Showing status in "tray" would be another thing, but is not yet implemented.