[wpkg-users] Trying out package upgrades before general roll-out of package

Robin Roevens robin.roevens at cocks.be
Mon Feb 23 09:06:48 CET 2009

Hi all

Thanks for the many reactions, and many ways to test package before using
them in production.
I think I'm going to try the extra wpkg-dir approach described below for
now. As I am already doing something alike for our remote VPN/Home users
who don't want software upgrades pulled trough the already too slow VPN.
Those clients are now manually upgraded by running WPKG from a a whole
separate WPKG dir + software dir burnt to a DVD+RW they can take home..

The only downside I see in this approach is that, as I said before, we
have 4 to 5 test users. meaning that the 5th user is not always a
test-user and sometimes doesn't want to be bothered with possible unstable
software or experimental features..(sometimes the 4th user neither)
Meaning that he sometimes wants to test package X (less possible
production-severe impact) but not package Y (more dangerous package), and
that won't be possible anymore with this approach..

Best regards
Robin

--
Denk aan het milieu - is het nodig deze mail te printen?

** Email Disclaimer:
** This e-mail and the information it contains may be confidential, legally privileged and protected by law.  Access by the intended recipient only is authorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system.  Any review, distribution, reproduction, publication or other use of this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.