[wpkg-users] WPKG with multiple systems and architectures

David Davies ddavies at apriori.com
Mon Jan 26 17:18:54 CET 2009

I deal with x32 and x64 Windows, and I find using the
%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% environment variable to be useful.  When I have
applications with both x32 and x64 versions, I create a single WPKG
package and use two install commands like:

<install cmd='%comspec% /c if %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%==AMD64
msiexec.exe /i "%SOFTWARE%\blah32.msi x64.msi" /qn /norestart' />

<install cmd='%comspec% /c if %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%==x86
msiexec.exe /i "%SOFTWARE%\blah64.msi" /qn /norestart' />

Only one of them will work, but that's what I want.

If necessary (e.g., if the program's uninstall registry entry is
different for x32 and x64 versions), I use a conditional check statement
to verify whether the program is successfully installed.

As for the folder hierarchy you use to store the installation files, I
think there are many viable solutions.  Those that you propose seem fine
to me.  For what it is worth, I do not bother to group installers by OS
since I have no applications that work on one version of Windows but not
others.  I tend to do something like:

%SOFTWARE%\Vendor\Application\Version\Architecture

I will not bother with an architecture folder if there is only one
version of a program or if the x32 and x64 installers are simple and
similar.

Message: 1