[wpkg-users] Can't have download functionnality working

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Jan 28 20:28:13 CET 2009

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas LEBRUN wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'am a new user of wpkg ( version 1.1M6) with wpkg_web. I'm using the
> wpkg-client 1.3.6 on the client ... Everything is OK.

Wpkg_web is currently not under active development not.

> But i can't find any way to have the download functionnality working.

Right - quite sure it's related to wpkg_web usage. The download feature
within wpkg_web has been implemented without WPKG support (or there
might be some support within an older 0.xx release. Note that WPKG has
been almost completely rewritten for version 1.0 (and version 1.0 did
not include the download feature).
WPKG 1.1.x pre-release contains a download feature but it's implemented
slightly differently and more robust than the way wpkg_web was thinking
about it. The syntax is described within the change notes:

examples:
 <package...>
 <download url="http://example.org/package.exe" target="package.exe" />
 <install cmd="%TEMP%\file.exe some arguments" ...>
   <download url="http://example.org/file.exe" target="file.exe" />
 </install>
 <install cmd="%TEMP%\file2.exe some arguments" ...>
   <download url="http://example.org/file2.exe" target="file2.exe" />
 </install>
 <upgrade cmd="%TEMP%\update.exe arguments" ...>
   <download url="http://example.org/update.exe" target="update.exe" />
 </upgrade>
 </package>

As you can see the download command is part of the "command" section
now. Not part of the global section.

So unfortunately the way wpgk_web is creating download information is
incompatible with the implementation in WPKG.
In any case I strongly suggest not to use the download feature and use
SMB/CIFS shares instead. This is considered to be much more robust way
of deployment than downloading packages via HTTP.

If you really want to use it (at no support of course) then you need to
write your XML files manually or export them from wpkg_web and extend
them manually.

Another possibility might be to use a CMD script during installation
which is using "wget" or a similar tool to download files before
installing them.