[wpkg-users] wpkg client on windows 98

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Sun Jul 5 12:31:56 CEST 2009

Hi Andrea,

Andrea Zagli wrote:
> how can i bypass the ip match control? in my host.xml file there's no
> ip, i have only host names

You cannot - at least not directly.

WPKG first tries to match your host name directly to the name specified in the
hosts.xml file. If the host file matches the host-name 1:1
(character-by-character) then no IP match is done. If it does not match directly
(e.g. if you use regexp) then WPKG tries to read the IP of the machine and match
the hostname to the IP string (this part fails on W9x).
If still no match is found then the host definition is interpreted as a regular
expression and matched against the hostname again.

As I wrote there is no negative effect besides that the IP-matching does not
work on W9x. In case you insert complete hostnames into hosts.xml then no error
should be logged.