[wpkg-users] patches for minor typos, status message suggestion

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Jul 10 17:44:53 CEST 2009

Hi Malte,

Malte Starostik wrote:
> there are a few occurrences of "chained" misspelt as "chaned" both in comments
> and a log message (found while trying to write a log parser). wpkg-typos.diff
> fixes this.

Thanks for reporting. I just checked in the fixes (and found some others).
<http://wpkg.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wpkg/wpkg/stable/1.1/>

> when using the sendStatus option, the status message during installation is
> "Install: verifying package ...".  This maybe somewhat confusing to users if
> the "verification" takes some time.  a suggestion to improve this situation at
> the expense of losing the processed/total package counter during installation
> is attached as wpkg-status.diff

Well your suggestion was to insert a line like:
Installing '<package Name>'...

This could be quite confusing since there might be upgrades done when a package
is removed (upgrade-before-remove feature).
So the output might show

Remove: Checking status of '<package Name>' (2/10)
Installing '<package Name>'...

To prevent this I've actually changed it slightly:

So it might look as follows:
Remove: Checking status of '<package Name>' (2/10)
Performing operation (upgrade) on '<package Name>' (<id>)

It also gives some more information during package installation. The lines shown
might include install, upgrade or downgrade within the braces.
The line is omitted completely if the package is correctly installed already -
but this is no change to your proposal.

I think this should not be too much of a problem for a parser capturing the
sendStatus output. It might look as follows
Install: Verifying package 'package 2' (2/10)
Install: Verifying package 'package 3' (2/10)
Performing operation (install) on 'package 3' (package3)
Install: Verifying package 'package 4' (4/10)
Performing operation (upgrade) on 'package 4' (package4)
Install: Verifying package 'package 5' (5/10)
Install: Verifying package 'package 6' (6/10)

This is not difficult to parse because the "Performing operation" line will just
appear if there is some external command to be executed. An application parsing
the (x/y) string to display a progress bar can just ignore it - or use them to
display additional information without updating the bar.

You might try the latest version downloaded from here:
<http://wpkg.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wpkg/wpkg/stable/1.1/>