[wpkg-users] xml Elements and attributes

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Jul 16 14:01:36 CEST 2009

Hi Charles,

Charles Gargent wrote:
> Is it possible to change the install, upgrade & remove elements to an
> "action" element and then have the type of action listed as an
> attribute such as
>
> <action type="install" cmd="....
>
> or will this be too difficult

No.
Again, this will break compatibility. Even if it would be possible I see no
practical reason for it. Is there any reason why you continuously seach for a
way to change the XML format as specified by WPKG?

If you intend to build a tool which is using WPKG XML format then it does not
really matter how the structure looks like - you have to adapt your tool to it
anyway.

Specifying an action command and a type would have been possible to use on first
WPKG versions. Somebody at that time decided to use independent nodes for
installation/uninstallation so we continue to use it because there is no problem
to do so. When I think about it it then the decision taken that time looks good
to me because in the future the <install /> node might have different attributes
than the <remove /> node.

So I don't see a reason to change this now and to offend WPKG users all around
the world because all packages would have to be migrated.