[wpkg-users] load balancing

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Jul 27 13:59:01 CEST 2009

Sergey Karapetyan wrote:
> hello again :)
> i have 1500 wpkg-clients, all users start working at 9am and i need install\reinstall openoffice
> (package weight ~ 150mb)
>
> i have a Samba server
> with RAM-disc and gigabit ethernet.
>
> 150*1500~220GB will be copy to clients
> Samba average in my case ~ 500mbit~50mb per second
> therefore copying time take about 75minutes. (long...)
>

> How can i solve this problem?

I did some experiments with multicasting (copy the file to the local
machine using multicast), but it didn't work reliably and setup was
complicated.

In reality, it perhaps makes sense to split the configuration into
logical groups (rooms, floors etc.) - and deploy one after another
(Monday - rooms 1xx, 2xx, Tuesday - 3xx etc.).
This also prevents you from simple mistakes to some extent: if you made
a package which doesn't start (i.e. uninstalls the old version, but
doesn't install a new version, leaving you with no software installed),
not all users will be affected.