[wpkg-users] Client application install issues

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Jul 30 22:58:03 CEST 2009

Hi David,

David Christensen wrote:
> I setup a simple configuration using the howto that is on the website
> using Dia as the test application.  When I start the client and check
> the event viewer I keep getting two errors that the command that was
> specified in the packages xml file is failing.

>From which source are these messages coming from?

Events logged by WPKG client will be listed coming from the "WpkgService"
source. Messages logged by wpkg.js are listed with source "WSH".

If wpkg.js is invoked correctly please attach a full debug log (see config.xml
to set location and log level).

> I thought it might be a netbios/domain naming issue so I used the IP
> address instead, no change.  I also thought it might be a admin user
> issue where the user I defined in the WPKG client was not capable of
> installing apps, so I added the user defined in samba as a local user
> with admin rights, no change.  I even thought it was a directory/file
> permissions issue so I made changes to those.

WPKG client is usually executed in SYSTEM context. If you use another user it
needs privileges to install software of course.

The "WPKG path user" is used only to access the share where wpkg.js is stored.
This user does not need to be added to any local group.

In order to debug you might enable the show user interface option in WPKG client
and add the /sendStatus switch to WPKG parameters and then run the service.