[wpkg-users] trouble in wpkg-client logon delay

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Jul 31 08:21:05 CEST 2009

Hi Sergey,

Sergey Karapetyan wrote:
> again need help with logon delay. At that time client not in hosts.xml (just wpkg client on client installed and nothing more) But logon delay takes 10 minutes.
[...]
> wpkg.js 1.0.4
> no errors in application / system log (on client)

Well, if there is no profile assigned to the host, then WPKG does not have
anything to do. So no logs from execution traces in application event log log is
expected.

Also you should consider using the latest stable version of WPKG (version 1.1).

It can be downloaded here:
<http://wpkg.org/Download>

Or use the latest-and-greatest (but not yet released) 1.1.2-RCx version which
can be downloaded here:
<http://wpkg.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wpkg/wpkg/stable/1.1/wpkg.js?view=log>

> C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx>cscript \\somehost\wpkg\wpkg.js /synchronize /debug
>
> Reboot-Cmd is standard.
> Initialized temporary local log file: C:\DOCUME~1\client\LOCALS~1\Temp\wpkg-logInit.log
> Initializing new log file: C:\DOCUME~1\client\LOCALS~1\Temp\wpkg-it_client.log
> WPKG 1.0.4 starting...
> Base directory is '\\somehost\wpkg'.
> Log level is 255
> Trying to read XML file: \\somehost\wpkg\profiles.xml
> Successfully loaded XML file: \\somehost\wpkg\profiles.xml
> Trying to read XML files from directory: \\somehost\wpkg\profiles
> Specified XML directory does not exist: \\somehost\wpkg\profiles
> Trying to read XML file: \\somehost\wpkg\hosts.xml
> Successfully loaded XML file: \\somehost\wpkg\hosts.xml
> Trying to read XML files from directory: \\somehost\wpkg\hosts
> Specified XML directory does not exist: \\somehost\wpkg\hosts
> Trying to read XML file: \\somehost\wpkg\packages.xml
> Successfully loaded XML file: \\somehost\wpkg\packages.xml
> Trying to read XML files from directory: \\somehost\wpkg\packages
> Specified XML directory does not exist: \\somehost\wpkg\packages
> Found network service: {7CE26487-xxxx-4DA4-A713-23439F7215CC}
> Reading DHCP address.
> Found DHCP address: x.x.x.x
> Message:      Could not find profile for host client.
> Error number: NaN
> Stack:        undefined
> Line:         undefined
>
> Found system locale: 419
> Found language definition node for language ID 419
> Saving sorted settings to 'null'.
> Settings not saved!
>

> why?

As you said. It looks like there is no profile assigned and WPKG immediately
terminates cleanly.
The only line which irritates me slightly is the "Found DHCP address" line which
states the address to be "x.x.x.x". However this should not cause any problems
as WPKG anyway tries to match the host definition to the host name too.

If there is no profile assigned to the host WPKG terminates as you see above as
there is nothing to do. It will also not save wpkg.xml because there is nothing
which has been installed.

Try defining a "catch all" host entry in your host.xml at leat. This is easily
achievable by adding a host definition with a regular expression like ".*" and
assign a basic profile to it (even empty profiles are fine too but the result to
the client will be similar: No packages applied).

The exception you see above is thrown in order to clearly notify the
administrator that there is something wrong with the hsots.xml definition
because it does not cover the host WPKG is run on.