[wpkg-users] trouble in wpkg-client logon delay

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Jul 31 10:59:36 CEST 2009

Hi Sergey,

Sergey Karapetyan wrote:
> how to painless migrate from 1.0.4 to 1.1?

Step-by-step guide:
- replace wpkg.js 1.0.4 with version 1.1.x

done ;-)

Of course it's recommended to do this in a testbed before going to production to
verify that all your packages still work as expected, but in general 1.1.x is
fully backwards compatible (unless you hit some undiscovered bug).

>> The only line which irritates me slightly is the "Found DHCP address" line which
>
> states the address to be "x.x.x.x".
> x.x.x.x this is my text :) realy there correct ip.
>
>> Try defining a "catch all" host entry in your host.xml at leat. This is easily
> achievable by adding a host definition with a regular expression like ".*" and
> assign a basic profile to it (even empty profiles are fine too but the result to
> the client will be similar: No packages applied).
>
> so if will be profile and this profile will be empty logon take less time?

wpkg.js for sure exits with a non-zero exit value in this case - which might
cause this behavior. Just try it.

> if i use regexp like ".+" or ".*" with profile "default" and this regexp in the bottom hosts.xml
> All other hosts where profile tell from "default" will be execute uninstall commands from their profiles and will install packages from "default".

No. The hosts are evaluated starting from top. If WPKG finds a match it will use
it. SO if you define a new host with ".+" or ".*" at the bottom of hosts.xml,
then it will only be used if above matches fail.

However there was a request that multiple profiles could be assigned like this.
But even then it would perfectly work as WPKG already supports assigning
multiple profiles to a host. So just add a ".*" host definition at the bottom
and point it to a profile (e.g. "empty" which does not assign any packages).