[wpkg-users] Package templates

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Tue Jun 16 17:23:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

one thing that used to bother me, especially when dealing with almost
identical packages like Windows updates, was the amount of duplication in the
package definitions.
Now this might be a trivial thing for many, but to me it was a rather radical
discovery today so I thought I'd share the idea:
XML entities not only greatly reduce repetition in e.g. registry key or path
names, they also make it possible to define package templates.  This way, a
package definition for the latest hotfix from Redmond boils down to a two-
liner.  Similar approaches for other kinds of package groups are imaginable.
An example to demonstrate the idea is at http://wpkg.org/Package_Templates
I haven't yet linked to it from anywhere but this mail, I thought of adding a
link from http://wpkg.org/Category:Silent_installers_for_Windows_Hotfixes but
YMMV

Regards,
Malte