[wpkg-users] package is run one more time after removal

simplesi siwalters at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 3 00:17:28 CEST 2009

Rainer Meier wrote:

> However the issue you face with your packages might come from the fact
> that you
> did not specify appropriate checks for the packages. From your description
> have to assume that you do not specify any checks. As a result the
> WPKG-internal
> isInstalled() check will return false for the package. That means that
> WPKG will
> re-install all these packages having no checks during synchronization.
> To prevent this you might specify the "execute=once" attribute to the
> package.
> "Once"-Packages are just installed once and then WPKG does not use the
> checks to
> verify if they are installed - WPKG just trusts that they still are.

This package is a execute=always, as it is a script to be run if the
computer is connected to the school network and not run if the computer is
not connected (e.g laptop at home) and the computer can't reach the school
server over a LAN.

I think it is incorrect logic for a package to be run if it is not in the
profile of the designated host.

I don't think it used to work that way and it seems to have been introduced
as a work-around for uninstall issues.

This behaviour was very confusing when I was testing the package until I
realised what was happening.

>> Could WPKG be modified that if a package has no uninstall script then
>> WPKG
>> does not try to do anything except report the information if console
>> messages are enabled.
>
> It's already doing this. If there are no uninstall commands WPKG will not
> do
> anything and then use the checks if the package is removed correctly. If
> you do
> not specify any checks this removes the package from local wpkg.xml
> without
> applying any change to the system.

No - what I mean is not do anything at all (apart from send/log message) -
No uninstall - WPKG does nothing - doesn't run package one more time -
doesn't remove wpkg.xml entry.

>> e.g if there is no uninstall line in the package - then WPKG does not run
>> the install/upgrade commands - it just does nothing.
>
> As written above. WPKG is already doing exactly this.

It is not doing nothing - it is running the package one more time :)

What I am trying to say is that WPKG has some very complex logic to deal
with possible problems with uninstallin software but is failing to deal with
simple issues that do not have have these possible problems :)

So, I'm suggesting that it be modified to retain all the extra coding added
to deal with complex issues but this extra code should be bypassed (or a
switch /simple :) added so that WPKG can operate at a simpler and more
intuitive level :)

regards

Simon

Just to give the big picture again, I use WPKG at several schools and I've
been using the 0.9 series for years - I'd like to move onto the recent
versions  - mainly for using separate package files (so I can just copy them
from one school to another) and for the dependancy enhancements.

I think it is great that WPKG can now deal with complex uninstall problems
(and I might need them one day) but I'd like the simple folk like me not be
be left behind :)