[wpkg-users] wpkgservice start fails on boot but can be started manually

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Mon Jun 15 22:33:12 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 15. Juni 2009 21:59:10 schrieb Alexander Meyer:
> Hi list,
>
> I installed the wpkg client on a few workstations and i keep having
> problems with the service startup. When I start the service manually via
> "net start wpkgservice" it usually starts up fine, but it always fails to
> start at boot time, usually with a message like "the network location
> cannot be reached" or "a device connected to the system is not
> functioning".

Wild guess: is this happening on XP?  Any chance it's related to XP's cheating
an apparently faster startup by allowing logins before all services - and
sometimes network connections - are up?
There's a group policy (also available locally via gpedit.msc)
"Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon ->
Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon to the computer."
resp. "Computerkonfiguration -> Administrative Vorlagen -> System -> Anmeldung
-> Beim Neustart des Computers und bei der Anmeldung immer auf das Netzwerk
warten"

Activating this setting usually fixes all kinds of weird behaviour prior to or
during logon.  If that doesn't help, you might want to check your network for
STP-related delays during link establishment: unplug the network and reconnect
after some seconds.  Can you send and receive packets immediately/if using
DHCP, does the box get its address immediately?  If there's some 30 seconds
delay until the link is operational, try turning off STP resp. the forward
delay on the switch ports that only a single machine connects to (e.g.
"spanning-tree portfast" for Cisco devices).

HTH,
Malte