[wpkg-users] wpkgservice start fails on boot but can be started manually

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Tue Jun 16 12:40:08 CEST 2009

Malte Starostik wrote:
Am Montag, 15. Juni 2009 23:10:18 schrieb Alexander Meyer:
> > There's a group policy (also available locally via gpedit.msc)
> > "Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon
> > ->
> > Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon to the
> > computer."
>
> You're right, this is XP we are talking about. Unfortunately setting
> the group policy didn't help very much. Although the service starts
> up more often now, it still fails every other time, so my setup is
> still far from reliable.

Too bad; there's one more gotcha I can think of: if you set this policy on the
domain and the client really has such a timing problem, chances are that the
policy isn't correcly applied or only applied after a while.  If it worked
correctly or you set it locally, I'm out of ideas, too.  Event log of any
help?  Any warnings or errors from netlogon or userenv?

> > If that doesn't help, you might want to check your
> > network for
> > STP-related delays during link establishment:
>
> We actually had this problem some time ago and I got it fixed, so i know
> for a fact that this is not it. Too bad, the group policy thing looked
> very promising but now i'm fresh out of answers..

:-( Malte
If things do not work at boot, use shutdown.

Installation at shutdown does not force the user to start working during installation of applications.
In addition there is no need to disable reboots, since we are already in a state of rebooting.
Any network delays are ruled out, since network was used the whole day long.

---
Stefan