[wpkg-users] reinstall uses wrong package definition

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Mon Mar 16 23:55:11 CET 2009

On one workstation I had a situation where a user manually upgraded a program (I have
one user with admin privileges).  After his upgrade, the check condition no longer
worked. His workstation attempted to reinstall the old package at every boot.

In the old package definition I had:
<check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Autodesk Design Review 2009" />

So I modified the package definition to this:
<check type="file" condition="versiongreaterthan"
path="%PROGRAMFILES%\Autodesk\Autodesk Design Review\DesignReview.exe" value="9.0.0.0"/>

I expected that wpkg would now accept his upgraded installation and stop trying to
reinstall the package.

But here is the surprise output (abbreviated) from a debug run:

WPKG 1.0.2 starting...
Found installed package 'Autodesk Design Review 2009' (DesignReview2009).
Package 'Autodesk Design Review 2009' (DesignReview2009) found in profile packages.

Going to install package 'Autodesk Design Review 2009' (DesignReview2009), Revision
0, (execute flag is '', notify flag is 'true').

Package 'Autodesk Design Review 2009' (DesignReview2009): Not yet processed during
this session.

Checking existence of package: Autodesk Design Review 2009
Uninstall entry for Autodesk Design Review 2009 missing: test failed  <<<<<< Note!!

Package 'Autodesk Design Review 2009' (DesignReview2009): Installed but checks
failed. Re-Installing.

As you can see, wpkg used the old check condition from it's local wpkg.xml file
instead of the new check condition form the server.

I manually removed the old entry from the local xml file and then it accepted and
skipped the install.

--
Mark Nienberg
Sent from an invalid address. Please reply to the group.