[wpkg-users] Server to Server push of updates/patches

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Mar 4 11:38:43 CET 2009

FYI

Hi,

Federick Pineda wrote:
> basically what i wanted to do is push the update from general server to
> branch server then the branch server updates the workstations... can it
> be done? is it possible without customizing the script packages?

Yes. I am doing exactly the same using rsync. Let me explain it a bit
more...

Master-Server layout (shared as \\master-server\share):
/data/share/wpkg/
/data/share/wpkg/wpkg.js
/data/share/wpkg/packages.xml
/data/share/wpkg/profiles.xml
/data/share/software/Microsoft Office 2007
/data/share/software/Pidgin v.2.5.5

So on the master server you have a full WPKG installation.

Within a branch office you could have the same layout:
Branch-Office Server layout (shared as \\branch-server\share):
/data/share/wpkg/
/data/share/wpkg/wpkg.js
/data/share/wpkg/packages.xml
/data/share/wpkg/profiles.xml
/data/share/software/Microsoft Office 2007
/data/share/software/Pidgin v.2.5.5

The clients on the branch office just use
\\branch-server\share\wpkg\wpkg.js
for the path to WPKG and clients on the main location use
\\master-server\share\wpkg\wpkg.js

So each location uses their own (somehow independent) installation.

To do updates just update your master location and then push all
information to the branch office(s). As I said rsync is a nice tool to
do this job.

The same way you could also operate your own staging system with a
complete independent installation. The deployment process is then done
by a simple synchronization of the files.

Staging System -> Master Server -> Branch offices