[wpkg-users] Questions about WPKG client configuration

Falko Trojahn nospam_ft at smi-softmark.de
Tue Mar 10 09:42:22 CET 2009

Luca Manganelli schrieb:
> Some questions:
>
> 1) remote deploying clients with settings.xml
>
> if I put the parameter SETTINGSFILE the path of a settings.xml in a shared folder, the client uses that file or a local copy?

settings.xml is imported manually, on install of WPKG Client, or via
wpkginst --settingsfile=...

http://wpkg.org/WPKG_Client

You can use a package if you like to distribute newer settings:

        <package
           id="pkgwpkginst"
           name="Wpkg installer"
           revision="2"
           reboot="false"
           priority="0">
    <check type="logical" condition="and">
       <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="WPKG" />
           <check type="file" condition="versiongreaterorequal"
path="%programfiles%\wpkg\wpkgsrv.exe" value="1.0.0.11"/>
    </check>
           <install cmd="cmd /c msiexec /qn /i
%SOFTWARE%\wpkg\WPKGSetup.msi SETTINGSFILE=%SOFTWARE%\wpkg\settings.xml
ALLUSERS=1" />
           <upgrade cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\WPKG\wpkginst.exe"
--SETTINGSFILE=%SOFTWARE%\wpkg\settings.xml' />
           <remove cmd="msiexec /qn /l*
%systemdrive%\netinst\logs\wpkgdel.log
/x{0CBB4991-D7BA-47C9-A6F8-287A2D6E53CA}"  />
        </package>

To distribute the settings, just change them in settings.xml on the
local share and increment revision number.
You can do this e.g. by exporting from wpkginst.exe.

> 2) in the "Logon settings" of WPKG configuration there's a value of "Shutdown delay". The default is 10 minutes.
>
> What does it mean? It's not documented in the wiki http://wpkg.org/WPKG_Client_-_GUI_help#Logon_settings

You use the development version of Wpkg Client, right?

Start wpkginst.exe, see section logon settings. You can use wpkg on
startup (as usual) or on shutdown.
Shutdown delay is only relevant when using "at system shutdown".

The delay must be long enough so that all installations are done before
the system shuts down.

Best regards,
Falko