[wpkg-users] Recording registry changes

Troy Hamilton troy.a.hamilton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 15:41:56 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:22 AM, Anders Nilsson <andersn at isy.liu.se> wrote:
> I'm looking for a recommendation of a program to record registry changes
> (and possibly file changes) when installing software, or plugging in
> hardware for that matter.
>
> Anyway, any suggestions for such programs?

I've used both regshot (http://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot) and
regshot2 unicode (russian:  http://www.czechcup.com/regshot/ google
english translation:  http://tinyurl.com/csgmvt).

I was drawn to regshot because it's GPL'd, and but I later needed some
feature of regshot2.  I'm not certain, but I think that regshot2
outputs a regedit v4 file of the reg changes while regshot just logs
the changes to a text file.

In my experience, taking snapshots for repackaging should _always_ be
a last resort since it is pretty time consuming and error-prone.  I
have used it for troubleshooting at times, though.

Good luck.

--Troy