[wpkg-users] Fatal Error - Missing White-Space

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed May 20 21:55:09 CEST 2009

beadlej wrote:
> WPKG is giving me the error. I have also been using Open XML Editor to edit
> the .xml files and it will also show me the errors. I will explain step by
> step what happens.
>
> I open a command prompt and go to my mapped drive to the server that has the
> WPKG files.
>
> I then type "wpkg.js /synchronize"
>
> It then opens up a window that says,
>
> Error parsing xml 'Z:\packages.xml': Required white space was missing.
> File   Z:\packages.xml
> Line  56
> Linepos 36
> Filepos 2408
> srcText  <install cmd="%COMSPEC% /c mkdir "%AllUsersProfile%\Start
> Menu\Programs\CCleaner""></install>

The error comes from the interpreter (cscript.exe), not from wpkg.js.

The above one line is invalid - it starts with:

<install cmd="%COMSPEC% /c mkdir "

Then, this part doesn't make sense for cscript.exe, as quitation was
already closed:

%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\CCleaner""></install>

> NOTE: the srcText is different then the line in the packages.xml. That one
> is:
>
> <install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c mkdir "%AllUsersProfile%\Start
> Menu\Programs\CCleaner"' />
> Note that the single quotations are replaces with double quotes and the end
> part of " />" is replaced with "></install>"  I don't know if that has
> anything to do with the error.
>
> After I press OK there are no more windows so I assume that it stops.

Yes, it does stop.

So it's not clear for me - how does the "install cmd" line look in your
xml file, the one you keep on your server? Please paste the whole XML
file with that package.

> A little background: I only have my computer in the hosts.xml and in the
> profiles.xml I only have ccleaner within my profile. In the packages.xml I
> only have the package for Ccleaner (which I copied and pasted from the wpkg
> website and updated it to the correct path and file name). I was trying to
> do more before, but then I realized that it wasn't working right, so I went
> back down to just installing one package. I did follow the walkthrough to
> install DIA and that worked just fine. I don't know what the problem is now.
> The only difference is that it's using %COMSPEC% to run some commands that
> DIA didn't do.
>
> Some other questions real quick. Do you have to define %software% in the
> "Variables, actions" tab in wpkginst.exe? If that is the case, what are all
> the variables that I need to define? Also, considering that you can't silent
> install some software (Malwarebytes is one), how do you auto install it?

I don't know what Malwarebytes is, but almost everything, if not
everything can be installed silently. The price is the time you spend to
figure out how ;)