[wpkg-users] IE 8 silent installer

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Sat Nov 7 11:19:50 CET 2009

Hi Craig,

Craig White wrote:
> <package id='InternetExplorer_en'
>    name='Internet Explorer'
>    revision='801'
>    priority='55'
>    reboot='false' >
> <check type='uninstall' condition='exists' path='Windows Internet
> Explorer 8' />
> <install cmd='%SOFTWARE%\Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
> \IE8-Setup-Full.exe' >
> <exit code='any' />
> </install>

First of all IE8 seems not to leave an uninstall entry. So the check above will
fail. I am using the following:

<check type='registry' condition='equals'
path='HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector\IE'
value='8.0000' />

However the package quote is not complete it seems you did not specify any
upgrade commands...
Probably you should add:

<upgrade cmd='%SOFTWARE%\Microsoft Internet Explorer 8\IE8-Setup-Full.exe' >
  <exit code='any' />
</upgrade>

> executing the command from a the command prompt installs it fine. But
> scripted, I get the following message in my logs...

Let's see...

> Explorer' (InternetExplorer_en): Already installed but version
> mismatch.|Installed revision: '700'|Ava
> ilable revision: '801'.|Preparing upgrade.

As I wrote above WPKG will perform an upgrade here (not an installation) since
the machine seems to have version 700 of the package installed already.

> 2009-11-06 21:16:59, DEBUG  : Fetched 0 upgrade command(s).

Exactly as I wrote. No upgrade commands specified. WPKG will simply not execute
any commands. What did you expect to happen on the system if you don't specify
any commands to be run? ;-)

> 2009-11-06 21:16:59, DEBUG  : Uninstall entry for Windows Internet
> Explorer 8 missing: test failed

Sure. See above.

> Now I noticed in the registry that there is no remove option, not that I
> thinnk it matters. But it could not upgrade IE7 with IE8 but after this
> failure, just executing the same file at a dos prompt worked fine.
>
> What am I missing?

Just tell WPKG to run the commands you like so WPKG will do it for you. If you
tell WPKG not to run any commands on upgrade as you did, then WPKG will not do
anything. The check however really matters because WPKG will verify the upgrade
using the checks you supplies. So if you check for an uninstall entry which will
never exist, then WPKG will always claim the upgrade to be failed. So make sure
your checks really verify that IE 8 is installed properly. The one I've provided
is the one I found working best.