[wpkg-users] Just running one package at each run

Thu Nov 12 12:50:11 CET 2009

First, one more pitfall warning: regardless of what you do, remember that WPKG will also *UNINSTALL* software if it has a package definition, but is not listed in your profile. So if a user already installed software that is not yet in his profile, WPKG would actually remove it (at least, that's the default behavior).

For controlling desktop settings, such as wallpapers, I think you may be better off using Group Policies. With GPOs, you can prevent the user from changing the wallpaper in the first place. Great as it is, WPKG is not necessarily the best tool for *everything*.

For my strategy, you actually only need two profiles for all your hosts: one that contains all the original settings, and one that contains all the packages you want to add.

Profiles.xml:

<profiles>
   <profile id="original-profile">
     <!-- whatever you always had goes here -->
   </profile>
   <profile id="new-profile">
     <depends profile-id="original-profile"/>
     <!-- whatever you want to add goes here -->
   </profile>
</profiles>

Hosts.xml:
<wpkg>
  <host name="host1" profile-id="original-profile" />
  <host name="host2" profile-id="original-profile" />
  <host name="host3" profile-id="original-profile" />
  <host name="host4" profile-id="original-profile" />
  <host name="host5" profile-id="new-profile"/>
  <host name="host6" profile-id="new-profile"/>
  <host name="host7" profile-id="new-profile"/>
</wpkg>

Every day, you would change one or two of the hosts from profile "original-profile" to profile "new-profile".