[wpkg-users] Amending package deployment after 50% of workstations done

simplesi siwalters at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 28 02:35:34 CET 2009

I recently made up a package to deploy Scratch 1.4.

It had a check condition in to make sure it wasn't deployed if it already
existed (some machines had been updated manually) and I deployed it to all
my workstations and after I'd done about half the school I noticed that I'd
forgotton to copy a shortcut to the desktop. :(

What would you do to rectify this situation - the current package looks like
this

<package
        id="scratchmsi"
        name="Install Scratch from MSI"
        revision="1"
        reboot="false"
        priority="0"
        notify="false"
	execute="once">

	<check type="file" condition="sizeequals"
path="%PROGRAMFILES%\Scratch\scratch.exe" value="1045504" />

        <install cmd='msiexec /i "%PACKAGES%\scratchmsi\scratch1.4.msi"
/qb-' />

        <upgrade cmd='msiexec /i "%PACKAGES%\scratchmsi\scratch1.4.msi"
/qb-' />

</package>

My current thought is to change it to this

<package
        id="scratchmsi"
        name="Install Scratch from MSI"
        revision="2"
        reboot="false"
        priority="0"
        notify="false"
		execute="once">

	<check type="file" condition="sizeequals"
path="%PROGRAMFILES%\Scratch\scratch.exe" value="1045504" />

        <install cmd='msiexec /i "%PACKAGES%\scratchmsi\scratch1.4.msi"
/qb-' />
        <install cmd='%COMSPEC% /C copy "%PACKAGES%\scratchmsi\scratch.lnk"
"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\Scratch.lnk" /y' />

        <upgrade cmd='%COMSPEC% /C copy "%PACKAGES%\scratchmsi\scratch.lnk"
"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\Scratch.lnk" /y' />

</package>

because I think that on clients where the package isn't installed - it will
do the install and copy the shortcut.  And on existing clients, they will
see the increase revision and do the upgrade.

Have I got my logic right or would I be better off leaving original package
alone and adding a new dependant package that just does the shortcut
copying?

I'm not back to the school until next Tuesday and I'd like to get it right
this time :)

regards

Simon