[wpkg-users] revision number problem

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Oct 5 11:39:16 CEST 2009

Hi Marco,

Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> A little, probably unrelated question. There's a separator defined for
> 'internal subrevision'?
> EG, for now i use, for firefox:
>
> 	30141
>
> for 3.0.14 internal revision 1; i use internal revision because i'm
> human and male, so i make mistakes ;), and when i do that, i can fix
> the packege augmenting only the internal revision.
>
> Can i write now as:
>
> 	3.0.14:1
>
> or whatever separator i like, : , ; , -, |, ... different from dot to
> mark them explicitly as 'internal revision'?

Well as far as I remember the algorithm everything which is not a number can be
used as a separator (words, characters, punctuation marks)
So yes, a version number of 3.0.14:1 would be "allowed"
I think the evaluation would be as follows:
3.0.14 <-> 3.0.14:1 is newer
3.0.14:1 <-> 3.0.14:2 is newer
3.0.14:1 <-> 3.0.15 is newer
3.0.14:1 <-> 3.0.15:1 is newer

However this punctuation is very uncommon (I've never seen that before). I
suggest you to just add another period mark:

3.0.14.1

What I've seen some times is a "release marker":

3.0.14r1

which shouold be supported by the algorithm:
3.0.14r1 is newer than 3.0.14
3.0.14r2 is newer than 3.0.14r1
3.0.15 is newer than 3.0.14r50

But I would prefer the simple punctuated notation above:
3.0.14.#

If in doubt which result the version comparison evaluation yields just open the
debug log file and look for "Comparing version: 'x' <=> 'y'." entries.