[wpkg-users] Definition change/Version #

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Tue Oct 6 09:20:04 CEST 2009

Mandi! Sean Kennedy
  In chel di` si favelave...

> As I build packages and deploy them, I've discovered errors within them.
> Naturally, I fix these errors, but if wpkg doesn't detect a version status
> change ( either through the revision # on the package, nor it's internal checks
> ), it doesn't copy the new package definition to it's local cache.  Sitting
> here it occurs to me that I might just be able to increment the revision number
> on the package, and it copies the new package information to it's local cache.
>  If there are no upgrade commands, will the only action taken be that of wpkg
> updating it's local cache of the package definition?

You can increment the revision and the package definition will be
updated in the local 'db' (wpkg.xml).

Clearly also the package itself get updated: some package are too
small that does not fuss, most of the .msi installer are smart and a
second installation over the current substantially does nothing.
But other installer are big and dumb, and force big network transfers
and cpu time for installation.

Probably the 'revision' can be splitted in two part, one that upgrade
the package, one that upgrade only the recipes.
But effectively you can remove the 'upgrade' part temporarly and
increment the revision.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php