[wpkg-users] A feature request.

luca_manganelli at comune.trento.it luca_manganelli at comune.trento.it
Wed Oct 7 08:32:27 CEST 2009

Rainer Meier <r.meier at wpkg.org> scritti il 06/10/2009 19.02.28

> Yes and if you have 10 machines on that DSL line it would take at
> least 10x the
> bandwidth of a single host. So it's anyway quite bad if every host
> downloads the
> package directly via DSL line.

You found the problem.

> Are we talking about private use or some business reason behind? Just buy
> simple Netgear ReadyNAS or Synology NAS device with rsync support
> and sync your
> packages weekly/monthly to that device and have the local machines
installing
> software from this node (just synchronize your whole WPKG share).
> Such a device can be bought for less than $200 and saves you lots of
headache
> and keeps the DSL line free (only one single upload from your central
server
> needed). In addition you gain a lot of stability and it's less annoying
for
> users since the download/install will be quite fast from the local NAS
server.

You're right, but we are in a government instititution. And they prefer to
save money instead buying many NAS. It's a common problem, not to us.

> I only see one possibility to do it. One might synchronize the wholeWPKG
share
> to the local drive and then execute WPKG completely locally.
> For example synchronize \\server\wpkgshare to c:\deployment\wpkg andthen
have
> WPKG client starting wpkg.js from c:\deployment\wpkg.

Uuuuurgh... horrible. My WPKG share is about 1,5 GB. Some computers have
only 20 GB (almost of them is nearly full)

> The synchronization could be executed at startup while WPKG
synchronization
> could be done at shutdown.

Really? Where's the preference on startup script execution?

> But remember that this still requires each host to synchronize/download
the
> whole software distribution which puts some load on your DSL line.

> I would rather prefer the NAS approach.

but it requires, for every DSL-connected offices, to set up different
package configurations. I prefer only one simple approach, instead
rewriting the same wheel.