[wpkg-users] Bug 176...

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Wed Oct 7 11:15:22 CEST 2009

> Mandi! Marco Gaiarin
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > > Installing at shutdown, when not connected to a network,
> just exits with a wpkg.js file not found error.
> > I will do some test tomorrow, but also with 'offline mode'
> disabled, i
> > got the same error.
>
> Ok, probably i've maked some mistakes, i can confirm that
> with 'install
> at shutdown', with offline mode disabled, it works.
> I confirm also that installing at shutdown, seems that 'offline mode'
> are pretty useless.
>
> Some note:
>
> 1) still if i manually stop or restart wpkg service, the service does
>  not cleanly shut off, i have to kill it.
>
> 2) if wpkg service are killed (or die) i have to wait all the
> 'max wait
>  time' (as happens on startup, indeed); Here (in shutdown) we
> can check
> this, i hope directly in WPKClient, but we can also add this to -pre
> script, for example:
>       http://www.hiteksoftware.com/knowledge/email/045.htm

The pre-shutdown-delay setting of a service is only taken into account at shutdown, if you manually stop the service, this is not recognized by the service control mechanism.

I think it should be possible to overcome this problem, since the wuauclt service has a pre-shutdown-delay set too, but you can successfully stop the "automatic update" service manually.

Anyone out there creating their own services?

---
Stefan