[wpkg-users] How to handle unknown uninstaller name?

Sun Sep 6 10:30:33 CEST 2009

I'm trying to create a package.xml file for Aspell and a couple of
dictionaries.

The problem I am having is how to create the <remove> entry. Aspell uses
an uninstaller of the style

"%PROGRAMFILES%\Aspell\uninsXXX.exe"

where XXX is a number.

Each individual dictionary gets its own uninsXXX.exe and uninsXXX.dat in
the same directory. So after installing the English and German
dictionaries, I end up with files unins000.exe, unins001.exe and
unins002.exe - or in some cases after reinstalling even unins003.exe or
higher numbers. Which of these uninstallers goes with which package
depends on the order of installation. The correct number is listed in
the registry Uninstall key.

Is there a way to tell WPKG to use the uninstall key from the registry,
instead of hardcoding the -potentially wrong - name of the uninstaller?
The registry entry probably needs some "munging" because it is usually
the non-silent uninstaller.

Thanks!

Attached is the package XML that I currently have, without <remove> tags
so far.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<packages
    xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../xsd/packages.xsd" >

    <package id="aspell" name="Aspell" revision="1" reboot="postponed"
priority="1">
        <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="GNU Aspell
0.50-3" />

        <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\aspell\Aspell-0-50-3-3-Setup.exe"
/verysilent' />
        <upgrade cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\aspell\Aspell-0-50-3-3-Setup.exe"
/verysilent' />
        <remove cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\Aspell\unins000.exe" /verysilent'/>
        <chain package-id="aspell-en"/>
        <chain package-id="aspell-de"/>
    </package>

    <!-- the language dictonary files must be extracted using 7Zip or
the like
         before they are useable for wpkg installation.
      -->
    <package id="aspell-en" name="Aspell English Dictionary"
revision="1" priority="1">
        <depends package-id="aspell" />
        <check type="file" condition="exists"
path="%PROGRAMFILES%\aspell\dict\en-only.rws" />
        <install workdir="%TEMP%"
cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\aspell\en\TmpInstall\setup-Aspell-en-0.50-2.exe"
/verysilent' />
        <upgrade workdir="%TEMP%"
cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\aspell\en\TmpInstall\setup-Aspell-en-0.50-2.exe"
/verysilent' />
    </package>

    <package id="aspell-de" name="Aspell German Dictionary" revision="1"
priority="1">
        <depends package-id="aspell" />
        <check type="file" condition="exists"
path="%PROGRAMFILES%\aspell\dict\de-only.rws" />
        <install workdir="%TEMP%"
cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\aspell\de\TmpInstall\setup-Aspell-de-0.50-2.exe"
/verysilent' />
        <upgrade workdir="%TEMP%"
cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\aspell\de\TmpInstall\setup-Aspell-de-0.50-2.exe"
/verysilent' />
    </package>

</packages>

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.