[wpkg-users] Problems with WPKG Active directory Installation

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Sun Sep 6 02:27:02 CEST 2009

Am Sonntag, 6. September 2009 02:14:44 schrieb ballsman at web.de:
> I finally found the problem. You just need to the grant read permissions
>  for "authenticated users". But the important thing is to use  the hostname
>  (\\wpkg_server\wpkg) instead of the ip address (\\192.168.10.2\wpkg) to
>  access the share. It seems that the local system account of the client
>  computers can't access the shares of my server using ip adresses.

Ah indeed: use of IP addresses or any kind of alias like CNAME or manual hosts
entry without corresponding servicePrincipalName in the AD breaks Kerberos.
Without further precautions It only works with the server's primary hostname
("Computername").  With that one Domain Computers should work just as well as
Authenticated Users, but the former nicely limits access to system services
and keeps regular users off the distribution share.

Cheers,
Malte