[wpkg-users] Software installation has failed

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Fri Sep 18 13:48:41 CEST 2009

Stephen Ross schrieb:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Andreas Heinlein <aheinlein at gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Ross schrieb:
>>
>>> <Snip>
>>> Profiles applying to the current host:
>>> other
>>>
>>> Reading settings file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkg.xml
>>> Trying to read XML file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkg.xml
>>> Successfully loaded XML file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpkg.xml
>>> Hosts file contains 22 hosts:
>>> <snip>
>>> .+
>>> Settings file contains 1 packages:
>>> dia
>>> Packages file contains 5 packages:
>>> wpkg1
>>> wpkg2
>>> wpkg3
>>> time
>>> dia
>>> Profile file contains 1 profiles:
>>> maths
>>> Using profile(s):
>>> other
>>>
>>> Message:      Could not locate referenced profile(s):
>>> other

>>> other
>>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> this means you have defined in your hosts.xml that the host in question
>> should use a profile named "other", but your profiles.xml only contains
>> a profile named "maths". Fix your profile and/or your host definition
>> and it should work.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Andreas
>>

> hi Andreas,
>
> I realised that by having the line <host name=".+" profile-id="other"
> /> this was picking up my current machine first and trying to run the
> profile "other" instead of using the profile "maths"
>
> I have now added my machine to the top of the list and the script does work.
>
> My question now is this: As dia is already installed on my machine,
> once the script checks to see dia is already installed it appears to
> shutdown, does this mean the other 22 machines on my list no longer
> get DIA installed? Or will the script go onto the next host and repeat
> the process of checking for DIA to be installed?

I am replying back to the list including your reply, which was sent only
to me.

WPKG is run on each client separately; the debug output above may have
misled you. It does not "go on to the next host". You have to configure
each of your clients to execute wpkg.js on its own, either by installing
the wpkg client or by calling wpkg.js by TaskPlanner, GPO or whatever.
Checks, of course, will then occur on and apply to each host individually

Bye,
Andreas