[wpkg-users] Truecrypt silent install

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Sep 24 08:30:15 CEST 2009

Hi David

David N wrote:
> I am very interested for the silent install. I've tried but haven't
> had any luck.

Recently I've developed a small script too in order to deploy TrueCrypt 6.2a
silently.

Please find attached the set of scripts including a WPKG package sample.

The main issue of TrueCrypt is that you need to add the uninstall section by
hand. If you don't do so then TrueCrypt enforces itself to be run with
administrator privileges and triggering an UAC prompt on Windows Vista/7.

I have no clue why it checks for the uninstall key instead checking if the
required service is available. Probably a bug.

Apart of that you need to add a TrueCrypt service which allows non-administrator
users to mount drives. The service is added by the script as well.

The script also includes code to create some start menu shortcuts using
"shortcut.exe". It currently supports two languages: EN, DE. Feel free to extend.

The script also fully supports x86 and x64 Windows.

How to use:
- Download TrueCrypt installer
- Run installer and select to extract the files
- Right click the "TrueCrypt" sub-directory just created
- Select 7-Zip -> Add to Archive... (requires 7-Zip to be installed)
- Create an SFX archive: "TrueCrypt.exe"

That's it.
For future versions you might have to adapt the VERSION variable within the
"unattended.cmd" script.