[wpkg-users] windows 7 problem with one package

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Tue Apr 27 02:48:02 CEST 2010

I have a simple package that installs an engineering program.  It looks like this:

<package id="retainpro" name="Retain Pro 9" revision="2">
<check type="uninstall" condition="versiongreaterorequal" path="Retain Pro 9"
value="2009.9" />
<install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\RetainPro\RP9_SETUP.exe" /s' />
<upgrade cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\RetainPro\RP9_SETUP.exe" /s' />
</package>

This works on all my XP machines.  On Win 7 it works fine if run from a command
prompt using wpkg in debug mode.  But if run at boot time it hangs and does not
return.  This does not appear to be the "protected desktop" problem recently
discussed, because if I log in as administrator immediately after bootup I do not see
the message about "Interactive Services Detection".

I should add that when run from the command line, there is a progress window that
appears, but it does not require or accept any user input.  It disappears and the
install continues.

The installer was written using Setup Builder by Lindersoft.  The software vendor is
uncommunicative, so I'm on my own.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks,

--
Mark Nienberg
Sent from an invalid address. Please reply to the group.