[wpkg-users] Excluding particular OS and architecture types from patch application

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Wed Apr 28 19:37:58 CEST 2010

Hi Lukasz,

On 28.04.2010 18:24, Lukasz Zalewski wrote:
> Would you consider reviewing/accepting a patch if i was going to submit
> one?

Well, currently I fear that I will not have time to review it. Moreover there
are really a LOT of constraints to be taken into account.
In addition I do not plan to make a lot of modifications on the current stable
version. Especially no new features.

> Do you mean something along the lines
> <package package-id="7zip" OSGreaterorequal="6.1" />
> That is interesting, however i think conceptually the OS and arch
> dependency belongs to the package itself rather than its profile
> assignment.

Yes, something like this.

I disagree that packages should be OS dependent. The vast majority of software
packages run on any Windows version available. The decision not to install it on
specific Windows version belongs more to the profile than to the package. Sure
there are some packages which should not be applied on specific OS versions but
if the profile supports limiting the package assignment to OS it can be handled
perfectly on profile level.

Feel free to create a patch of wpkg.js and support it yourself. If a lot of
users switch to your modified versions you might take over the support of WPKG.
As long as people are asking here for support I feel responsible for the
features and if I start to implement all these requests without taking into
account all side-effects I will be completely overwhelmed by bug reports about
features I did not even want to implement because I knew in advance that they
cause problems.