[wpkg-users] Visual indication that WPKG is still running....

C. Johnson (IT Services) cjohnson at kes.sheffield.sch.uk
Fri Aug 20 13:30:18 CEST 2010

I'd like to be able to walk in to a suite of PCs and visually check which PCs are still running WKPG and installing software.  We regularly wipe and reinstall our suites (3 times per year) and its good to be able to visually see the progress with no interaction.

How do people do this?
We're using the WPKG client.

I thought about resetting the desktop wallpaper with the "execute before" and using  "execute afterwards" to reset the wallpaper but our wallpapers are set at boot up and at log in to display important messages and other useful information (we use BGInfo).  As long as wpkg finished before the user logged in this wouldn't be too much of an issue but I'm wondering if anyone has a more elegant solution.

Thinks....
If I could take the existing wallpaper, back it up, add a watermark to the live wallpaper when starting WPKG then restore the backed up wallpaper afterwards all the information would be there still... unless WPKG changed the wallpaper before the Group policy changes it and then it would make all sorts of mess...

Chris Johnson

This Email and any attachments, may contain non-public information and is intended solely for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. If this Email has been misdirected, please notify the author immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any of the information contained in it or attached, and all copies must be deleted immediately. Whilst we take reasonable steps to try to identify any software viruses or other malware, any attachments to this Email may nevertheless contain viruses or other malware which our anti-virus software has failed to identify. You should therefore carry out your own anti-virus checks before opening any documents. Neither King Edward VII School nor Sheffield City Council will accept any liability for damage caused by computer viruses emanating from any attachment or other document supplied with this e-mail.