[wpkg-users] Bandwidth Limiting

heiko.helmle at horiba.com heiko.helmle at horiba.com
Mon Aug 30 08:36:07 CEST 2010

> [wpkg-users] Bandwidth Limiting
>
>  When a new update comes out we need some method of
> limiting the bandwidth of the transfer to those computers, so it
> won’t slow the entire network down.

Well it depends on how you invoke the installers. Normal operation of WPKG
is running the installer off a windows file share. So in that case, you
should configure the throttling in the file server. On Windows (AFAICS)
you can at least limit the total amount of concurrent users. On Samba you
can do some iptables magic (hashlimit perhaps) to throttle the bandwith -
mind this works per server, not per share.

Our installation downloads most installs to a temp folder and runs them
locally. This means more install commands but I experienced many packages
installing MUCH faster with the installer sitting on a local folder (Lotus
Notes -> 2x improvement, oracle-client also installed in half the time).
In this case, you can either use <download> and configure apache with a
bandwith limit or use <install cmd='wget... > and play with the
--limit-rate.

If you don't like your users waiting longer than necessary, I'd suggest
the first solution (concurrent user limit) instead of bandwith throttling.

Best Regards
        Heiko