[wpkg-users] Bandwidth Limiting

Troy Hamilton troy.a.hamilton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 20:26:38 CEST 2010

Trey,

You didn't mention what your network topology looks like, but if you have
multiple LANs with local fileservers, then the approach we use might work
for you.

We have 40 field locations each with their own LAN, fileserver, and 10 - 100
workstations.  Each field location is connected to the WAN via one or more
T1 lines.  Each fileserver has a software share with a full copy of all
software installers, etc.  Each workstation executes wpkg.bat which
determines the appropriate server based on the workstations IP address
(could also use computer name) and then sets %SOFTWARE% accordingly.  This
allows all workstations to install packages from a local network share
rather than over the WAN.  When a new installer becomes available, we just
have to update the package definition as usual and then use a script to push
the installer to those 40 servers.

Of course, this won't really help you if you don't have local fileservers
available for package storage.

Another idea might be to have wpkg.bat sleep for a random number of minutes
before starting wpkg.js.  That's definitely not as precise, but it might
work with some tweaking.  It's probably not as good of an option as using
wget with --limit-rate as Heiko suggested, though.

Cheers,

Troy