[wpkg-users] WPKG Timeout problem

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Wed Feb 3 16:59:54 CET 2010

Hi Luca,

I'm still investigating what exactly happens here.  But what I can tell so far
is that the .exe installer calls "home" (with no user-visible notification
about that btw, which I consider pretty rude) before doing anything else.
Plus - and I'm not sure about this, yet - it ignores the properties you pass
it.  IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 is deprecated anyway and by default both are
installed.  ADDLOCAL=ALL and REBOOT=Suppress seem to be honored.
However, JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 seem to not really make it.  That
is, they get written to the registry but the autoupdater will still be
installed and activated from what I've seen so far.
A more reliable way is to use the MSI package instead - start the setup
interactively and grab the files from %AppData%.  When you pass those updater
related properties to msiexec, they seem to be honored.  Plus this way it will
not call home in the beginning!  There is still a connection to
sjremetrics.java.com where it will get a unique id - apparently this server
provides Sun with some statistics about JRE installations - again quite a rude
thing to do, I haven't looked at their EULA/ToU/whatever if this behaviour is
documented...together with Sun's bundling of the Yahoo! toolbar some time ago,
this JRE more and more smells like ugly spyware to me.
However there might be a way to block this tracking call home, too.  I'll
definately get back to the list once I'm confident it really works.  In the
meantime, switching from the .exe to the .msi might get you a step further and
anyway reduce the network noise produced by this package.
This remaining connection happens right at the end of installation or maybe
even after the installer exits, so it might be harmless to the execution of
WPKG.  Some time later some JavaFX stuff will be downloaded.  Thus, I'm also
looking for a way to disable that one.

As it is now, all those http(s) connections cause an authentication failure on
our proxy as they run from the system account.  One way to solve the issue
altogether might be to block the relevant URLs on the proxy w/o asking for
authentication.  I'll consider such a solution if all else fails, but I'd
prefer to prevent the connections locally instead.

No thanks to Sun for blatantly calling this POS installer "offline".

Kind regards,
Malte

PS: this package also *sometimes* fails when installing over an existing
installation of the same version.  Best way to prevent this seems to always
uninstall any instance of the same JRE version before installing.

Am Mittwoch, 3. Februar 2010 16:25:46 schrieb
luca_manganelli at comune.trento.it: