[wpkg-users] why leave client service running?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Feb 22 09:59:19 CET 2010

Hi Hans-Werner,

On 22.02.2010 08:09, Hans-Werner Friedemann wrote:
> Hey Greg
>
> What do you think about creating an sheduled task, which runs by example every 12 hours.
> So you can start the command "cscript <path to wpkg.js>\wpkg.js /synchronize /quiet" spaced
> On a machine, which will never be rebooted...

If he's actually using WPKG client already there might be another/better way to
do it. Personally I would prefer the scheduled task to run the service then
instead of running wpkg.js directly. This allows you to have a slightly more
consistent system configuration where only WPKG client deals with wpkg.js
execution. This also prevents inconsistencies between scheduled tasks and
WPKG-Client settings.

Just schedule a task with the "sc start WpkgService" command.
Well, of course this will re-run WPKG only if it's not already running (that's
why I like the option to terminate it after completing its work).

Another hint is that you might even configure your system to allow normal users
to run/invoke the WPKG service in order to start a synchronization whenever they
want without having to give service administration privileges to the user.

Just use "subinacl"
(<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E8BA3E56-D8FE-4A91-93CF-ED6985E3927B&displaylang=en>)
to configure this:

subinacl.exe /SERVICE "WpkgService" /GRANT=USERS=TO

This also allows you to put a simple batch file somewhere in the start menu or
on the desktop which allows your users to start the software sync procedure.