[wpkg-users] WPKG selectivity based on Windows AD security groups membership

Vasaris krx at takas.lt
Sat Feb 27 18:51:10 CET 2010

Thanks for explanation. It prety sums up everything.

> There is a patch attached to some Bugzilla entry adding AD-Integration to
> wpkg.js. However it never made its way into the official wpkg.js yet. I planned
> to integrate such support into a future release of WPKG but I did not have time
> yet to complete the work on it. So you might try the modified version based on
> an older WPKG.

Does that means, that I have to change server-side WPKG files and folders tree, and then find & add this patch to try it out?

> One of the reasons I have been reluctant to integrate this code without any
> approval is the testing effort attached to it. I do not operate AD here (just
> Samba domains) and the modification includes quite a lot of code which will have
> to be supported as well.

I very well understand this issue. If you go open-source and try to avoid M$ as much as possible, using AD is an overkill. And it is better to have reduced functionality, then a mess with non-working code.

> So for the moment we stick to XML package/host/profile definition.

This is not a big deal. It just means, that in my case I will have to maintain two membership sets.

Perhaps there is workaround by using some tool to dump security membership content to the profile-host XML files. Therefore, such tool/script might run periodically to upate WPKG XML files to reflect current AD security group memberships.