[wpkg-users] Registry change during boot and roaming profiles

Sebastian Hoffmann sebastian.hoffmann at pallas-group.de
Thu Jul 22 15:12:57 CEST 2010

  Hello list,

I think I've a conceptional problem: I've got computers running W2k
which are not capable of the "taskkill" command used in the firefox
package to kill any running firefox-processes. So I decided to use
pskill instead of taskkill. But on the first run of pskill it asks the
user to accept the eula. I found a .cmd file on
http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic8783_page7.html which sets a registry
values indicating that the eulas of all sysinternals tools have already
been accepted.
Now I tried to make my own package file with this command, but only
working for pskill:

<packages>
<package
     id="pskilleula"
     name="Accept pskill EULA"
     revision="1"
     reboot="false"
     priority="99">

<check
         type="registry"
         condition="equals"
         path="HKCU\Software\Sysinternals\PsKill\EulaAccepted" value="1"/>

<install cmd='REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Sysinternals\PsKill" /v
EulaAccepted /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f'>
<exit code="0" />
</install>

<-- <upgrade cmd='%SystemRoot%\System32\msg.exe * /TIME:10 "upgrade"'>
<exit code="0" />
</upgrade>
     -->

<remove cmd='REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\Sysinternals\PsKill" /v
EulaAccepted /f'>
<exit code="0" />
</remove>

</package>
</packages>

The value gets correctly set and works fine. My problem now is the
remove command: When a client is booting up the registry key gets
deleted by wpkg irunning in delayed logon mode. But when I login as a
domain user using roaming profiles, the old registry becomes restored
from the roaming profile on the server and the key also gets restored.
But the wpkg.xml file in system32 has already deleted all information
belonging to "pskilleula" and the package is marked as not installed.

I know, it doesn't make much sense to remove this key, but I'm
interested in the problem itself. How can I act in such circumstances
when designing my own package files?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sebastian Hoffmann
-Pallas Group-
P+O Compact Disc GmbH & Co. KG
IT / Programmierung
Auf dem Esch 8
49356 Diepholz
Tel.: +49 5441 977-180
Fax: +49 5441 977-177
E-Mail: Sebastian.Hoffmann at pallas-group.de
Internet: www.pallas-group.de

Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB 100696
UST.ID.NR.: (VAT.REG.NO.): DE 811248035
Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin:
Order Verwaltungs-GmbH * Sitz Diepholz
Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB 101171
Geschäftsführer:
Rolf Neumann * Holger Neumann * Rainer Koppermann

P.S.: Wir sind offizieller Lizenzpartner von Toshiba, Philips und MPEG-2.