[wpkg-users] How to remove the package but leave the software installed

Sun Jul 4 20:53:01 CEST 2010

David,

You are right, of course - that's why I said to immediately reboot within the script. Come to think about it, you might also have to kill the WPKG process since rebooting takes a while.

Rainer's solution is of course even better. Hardly surprising since he's the expert...

I have a similar feature request myself - actually, the same feature request on the opposite end. Your feature should probably be called "make package unmanaged without remove". Mine would be called "make package managed without install".

The use case for that would be to remove software that is not yet managed. Currently, the recommendation is to call a script, but that runs into trouble when you want to selectively remove certain software only on some workstations. Example is to remove unauthorized copies of Microsoft Office (where the employee might have installed his own copy of Home & Student) while leaving authorized licensed copies intact. That is very difficult to accomplish with a script because a script wouldn't have access to the wpkg.xml file.

This should be an attribute in the profile, since usually one would only want a few packages to become managed or unmanaged that way.