[wpkg-users] A few quick questions

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Mon Jul 5 11:14:13 CEST 2010

Mandi! Donny Brooks
  In chel di` si favelave...

> are using 1.0.0.8-1.0.0.18 and the server is 0.9.8) and I would like
> to do a two-fold deal here: use the current wpkg installation to
> push out a new wpkg installation and point that new installation to
> a new server. Should this be possible? Would I have to remove all

...consider that upgrading wpkgclient by the way of wpkgclient is,
anyway and everityme, a ''deadlock-prone'' process. indeed.
In my experience upgrading wpkgclient by himself works, apart some
corner case that have to be handled by hand (buggy pc, ...).
Also changing wpkgclient configuration work.

I suggest you a ''two fold'' process, upgrading first the client, and
then upgrade the coniguration.

I use a ''wpkgclient'' recipe for the client and a
''wpkgclient-settings'' recipe for pushing new settings on the client;
normally not used, but... ;)))

> Also, what is the best way to use wpkg to change the administrator
> account password on windows xp and vista?

I've built an hack to change administrator password, using only
''standard'' tools.

Simply via wpkg i trigger an access to a samba share, that have guest
access enabled and via ''root preexec'' run a ''smbpasswd'' agains the
calling machine, using a perl wrapper script.
Client need to have ''file and printer sharing'' enabled and no
firewall on that part, but works, and via a simple semaphore file i can
instruct wpkg to retry if something failed.

With this approach i prevent to put the password on client-side, the
password remains only server-side.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php