[wpkg-users] Removing a dependency, removes all packages in the dependency chain

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Tue Jun 8 12:02:19 CEST 2010

Rainer Meier <r.meier at wpkg.org> writes:

> Hi Daniel,

Hello,

> You are right. This might be the actual reason for the confusion.

[...]

> I am sorry about this longish and probably chaotic message. I was thinking about
> possible ways to improve the situation for about an hour and continuously
> updated, dadded and deleted the message while I was trying to think about the
> whole impact of such a change. Unfortunately my conclusion finally was the
> statement above; I think the way WPKG is handling it currently might be
> unexpected but it makes sure the system state is consistently maintained at any
> point in time.

Yes, after thining about it, this is the preferred behaviour.

> By the way, the problem encountered by you (missing remove.cmd) during upgrade
> since you removed it from the server is always a problem. And I think you should

[...]

> included in "remove.cmd" into the package definition (which is stored locally in
> wpgk.xml too).

I first test on my lab virtual machine, things happend like this:

First run:
- GTK2 could not uninstall pidgin 2.6.6, so GTK2 was not uninstalled
- Pidgin was updated to 2.7.0 and does not depends on GTK2 any more.

Second run:
- GTK2 has no reverse dependency any more, so GTK2 was removed.

This was a near useless thread as the computers were not rebooted, so
only one run of WPKG client was done :-/, so everything is working as
expected in fact.

One good point about my noise is that now, we can cut&past you post, put
it on the wiki and nobody will ask anymore ;-)

I'll wait answer about my mail about running a synchronize with a
scheduled task when WPKG client run at shudown.

Thanks a lot.
--
Daniel Dehennin
RAIP de l'Orne