[wpkg-users] Removing a dependency, removes all packages in the dependency chain

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Jun 8 13:58:11 CEST 2010

Hi Daniel,

On 08.06.2010 12:02, Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> I first test on my lab virtual machine, things happend like this:
>
> First run:
> - GTK2 could not uninstall pidgin 2.6.6, so GTK2 was not uninstalled
> - Pidgin was updated to 2.7.0 and does not depends on GTK2 any more.
>
> Second run:
> - GTK2 has no reverse dependency any more, so GTK2 was removed.

Oh, right, so it's "healing" itself on second run. In case GTK could not be
removed either since you removed GTK from the server too it should work as well.
The reason is that WPKG would try to remove GTK and after failing it would
recognize it as a "zombie" package and remove it from the package database
anyway. Sure then GTK itself would remain on the machine but WPKG would not care
about it any more.

> This was a near useless thread as the computers were not rebooted, so
> only one run of WPKG client was done :-/, so everything is working as
> expected in fact.

Hmm, not really useless; it could have pointed to a real problem. So it's better
to sort things out.
I was really happy about your simple summary about Pidgin/GTK problem because it
was very easy to trace what really happens.

> One good point about my noise is that now, we can cut&past you post, put
> it on the wiki and nobody will ask anymore ;-)

Oh, probably not my chaotic message.... ;-)
But feel free to add some wiki information.