[wpkg-users] Start WPKG service with run at shutdown

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Tue Jun 8 16:39:59 CEST 2010

> On 14.05.2010 10:31, Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> > I'm using WPKG client on workstations with run on shutdown
> to avoid user
> > annoyance.
> >
> > I defined a schedule task to start the service at night if
> the computer
> > was not shutdowned by the user but it does nothing.
> >
> > This is working when I use WPKG client on startup:
> >
> > "net start wpkgservice" fills the logs on my server.
> >
> > Is it possible to make synchronisation happened when WPKG client is
> > configured to run at shutdown?
>
> I personally don't use synchronization at shutdown. The
> problem on your side
> seems to be that when you schedule at shutdown the service
> does not terminate
> after synchronization but instead synchronized when it is
> actually asked by
> Windows to terminate.
>
> Options you could follow to schedule WPKG while WPKG service
> is already running:
>
> - Not sure if WPKG service would also synchronize if asked to
> stop. If yet you
> might just "restart" the service via scheduled job to make
> the synchronization
> happen.
>
> - You might install a second WPKG service which is run by the
> task scheduler
> Copying the service entries in the registry might be
> sufficient to achieve this
> (however I did not test this).
>
> - You might invoke wpkg.js with your own *.cmd script invoked
> by task scheduler.
> Unfortunately this would also require to store your
> credentials etc. in the CMD
> script and maintain both, WPKG Client configuration and your
> scheduled task.
>
> br,
> Rainer

Terminating the service will not work, since Windows will not take the shutdown delay into account.

Creating a second service might not be possible, if there is no second instance of the service allowed.

A second service with the setting to start manual and to terminate after execution would be really handy.

You can create the scheduled task to be run as a user, which has administrative rights on the server and can access the software share, so you only need to run wpkg.js

---
Stefan