[wpkg-users] XML packages tree

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Jun 15 14:59:57 CEST 2010

Hi Daniel,

On 15.06.2010 14:39, Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> I'm wondering if it's possible to get a tree of XML packages like this:
> zip/
>   \- 7zip.xml
>   \- quickzip.xml
> browser/
>   \- mozilla/firefox.xml
>   \- google/chrome.xml
>
> Just using:
> <profiles>
>   <profile id='base'>
>     <package package-id='zip/7zip'/>
>   </profile>
> </profiles>
>
> and using "zip/7zip" as id in 7zip.xml does not works, neither zip\7zip
> (windows path separator).
>
> Any hints?

Currently WPKG either supports defining all your packages in packages.xml or in
packages/ sub-folder as independent files (or files containing multiple
packages. But it does currently not do recursive parsing of packages/ sub folder
to hunt for any XML file which might be there. Opening directories has also
turned out to be quite slow on VPN connections so I don't think this is a very
good idea.

Moreover your package-id reference in the profile does not refer to a file. It
refers to a package ID defined as an attribute to the package XML node.

So feel free to define a package like

    <package id="zip/7zip" ... />

and then refer to the package as
    <package package-id='zip/7zip'/>

you might also call your files accordingly in order to sort them within your
packages/ directory. For example:

zip-7zip.xml
zip-quickzip.xml
browser-mozilla-firefox.xml
browser-google-chrome.xml

Or even to put all browsers in browsers.xml and all zip applications in zip.xml
(Note that one XML file can contain multiple packages).